Pages

Monday 13 October 2014

Books In My Home.

Books. I just love books. My earliest memories of my childhood are filled with the enjoyment of books. Going on a day trip, or a visit to my grandparents I would never fail to pack a book or two or three to pour over while there. Our children now follow the same practise.

There were always books in my bedroom; in drawers, on shelves, under my bed, stacked in piles on the floor. I never went to school without a novel, or poetry book alongside my text books, and a journal and pen in case inspiration struck. 

"Let your bookcases and your shelves be your gardens and your pleasure-grounds. Pluck the fruit that grows therein, gather the roses, the spices, the myrrh.


I'm one of 'those people' who could spend hours perusing a dusty old second hand book shop with the greatest delight and not necessarily have to spend a cent. I'm one of 'those people' who simply cannot resist taking a deep breathe of that lovely smell of well worn pages. I scour bookshelves for much loved classics, and I'm thrilled when I find one for next to nothing.  Having books stacked on my bedside table and in my bedside drawers and cupboard is essential! In short, you could say without a doubt, that I am a book freak; a book worm; a bookaholic - take your pick! 

Needless to say, the love of books and reading is something that I've always wanted to encourage in my home. Having children who enjoy reading is something that I purposefully set out to instill in their hearts. Not by badgering, mind you, but by demonstrating to them my own love of literature; having shelves full of good quality stories to thrill the imagination; encouraging them to have quiet reading time before bed; encouraging them when they complete a book they may have found difficult.

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” 
― C.S. Lewis

Recently, we went on a day trip to Koorong bookstore, where we had a fantastic time purchasing quite a lot of books with cash that we'd been saving up for that purpose! It was so much fun! 


The Lauraine Snelling novel I already owned, the other books below are new books to devour!

'Saving Amelie' is a novel that, for some reason, I just couldn't walk away from. It's not normally the kind of novel that I read, but I just really couldn't not buy it. The girl at the service desk said she hadn't read it as it's only new; have any of you read it? How did you find it? I'm very keen to start it after I've finished the Lauraine Snelling one that I'm half way through.

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 
― Jane AustenPride and Prejudice

The novel titled 'Words' is also one that I just couldn't leave on the shelf. I only had to read the first section of the blurb on the back cover to know that I'd be hooked! It reads ... 

"I'd like to keep them in a real box, something pretty, maybe a shoe box covered with flowered wrapping paper. Whenever I wanted, I'd open the box and pick up the papers, reading and feeling the words all at once. Then I could hide the box. But the words are safer in my mind. There, he can't take them".
 It sounds like a word lovers world! Very keen to read it too! 

'The Artist's Daughter - A Memoir', looks very intriguing. It's written by Alexandra Kuykendall, who I've never heard of before and obviously, never read any of her work before. It's so good to find some new authors to get to know! Is anyone familiar with her?

As you may or may not know, I really enjoy 'The Hobbit'; novel and movies. When I saw this book (above) called 'On the Shoulders of Hobbits - the road to virtue with Tolkein and Lewis', I knew that it would be something I would really enjoy. It will no doubt, lead to me wanting to re-read the Hobbit and watch the movies again! On the back it reads, "Rediscover the power of stories and the importance of virtue through this beautiful work". That sounds pretty good to me!

'Love Comes Calling' is also written by a 'new to me' author, Siri Mitchell. It was in the buy one get one free box, so I got it for free when I bought 'The Artist's Daughter'.

Who can pass up 'One Thousand Gifts' by Ann Voskamp? I already own this book on my Kindle, but ever since I've read it, I've been itching to get a hard cover copy of it! I think I'll reread this one last, I want to draw out the anticipation of it as long as I can!

“A good library will never be too neat, or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it, taking books off the shelves and staying up late reading them.” 
― Lemony SnicketHorseradish


Throughout our home, the sight above is quiet normal. A child stretched out on a bed, or curled up in a chair (usually with a kitty), reading away; lost in worlds of adventure! I love it! It is something that makes my heart, and all of our hearts quiet happy! 

“The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours” 


The bookshelf above is only one shelf of two bookshelves stuffed full of books in our boys' room. Mr S especially loves to read, he was keeping a reading log for 2014, but lost track. I'd say he's close to ninety books this year; his nose is always in them and he's always asking if we can visit the local library. 


These are the bookshelves in the kids music room/play room - a lot of these I have purchased either second hand, or they were mine when I was a girl; like the Enid Blyton ones. Oh how I loved 'The Magic Faraway Tree!'. Little Miss P is beginning to really enjoy Enid Blytons works too! 


"You may have tangible wealth untold; Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. Richer than I you will never be - I had a mother who read to me".
- Strickland Gillian


"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books".
- Henry Wordsworth Longfellow


When it comes to children's Picture Books, I just love them! I find them amazing; but I am fussy unfortunately. I love the ones with not only a great storyline, but also beautiful illustrations! Walker books are my favourite publishers for children's picture books. They publish a beautifully high quality! 


Books make up such an important part of our home; especially when we read aloud together. Currently we're reading 'The Chronicles of Narnia' together, and really enjoying it! A friend of mine told me how she purchased a second older copy of Narnia for the sole purpose of highlighting her favourite quotes and scribbling notes of her lessons etc., all over it. How could I resist that?! I found another copy of Narnia for only twelve dollars for all seven and I'm keen to re-reread it, highlighter in hand! 

With all of these books to read, I think that I'll end up having a few book reviews to do! Would you be interested in a review of any in particular? 

Well, this has been an enjoyable post to share with you all! What are you reading at the moment? Any of these ones? 

In the words of Dorcas Lane, books "are my one weakness".

Have an abundantly blessed week!

8 comments:

  1. I just finished Playdates With God by Laura Boggess. I am rereading The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson at the moment. I so love books as well & very much enjoyed stopping here from Making Your Home Sing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playdates with God is one that I would love to get my hands on, Laura's writing is just beautiful! Thanks so much for visiting here, it's nice to have you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed taking a peek into your books today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your post. I am a book lover too. I think any book is precious whether is paperback or hardback. I love your collection. My Cowboy doesn't agree with my thought process about paperbacks. But, I can't afford hardbacks of all those treasures that I love. I don't have as many as I used to but I enjoy the ones I do have. Thanks for sharing your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn! It's nice to meet another book lover! I agree with you completely, in fact for some reason, I'm more partial to soft-cover books. I too, like you can't afford the hard-covered either, and so we're blessed with what we both have! Thanks for visiting here!

      Delete
  5. Elisha...We are readers, too. And our bookshelves have always been full although they have changed as our children grew older. I loved looking at all the books on your shelves. Thank you for sharing at Monday's Musings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Naomi. Reading brings such pleasure, it's nice to 'meet' another reader! Full bookshelves are a beautiful thing! Thank you so much for visiting and your comment, it is greatly appreciated. Have a beautiful week!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...