Pages

Saturday 13 July 2013

Letters To My Daughters (Part One)

It's been on my mind lately how low self-esteem, low confidence and poor self-worth has been something that I've struggled with for all of my life. I'm now 31 and just starting to see the truth and worth in who I am as a woman and all that that involves. It's by the grace of God that His love is relentlessly and patiently pursuing me. It's by His grace that He is so purposely carving a new way of thinking into my mind to erase the negative thought patterns that have gripped and bound me for too long. It's by His grace that I have friends (and my husband and children) who are in my life and point out my strengths and my weaknesses in love so that I can continue to grow.

Now, I have two daughters. One of whom is a 'mini me'. It's never more important than now for me to be demonstrating an acceptance and belief in who I am so that my daughters, Lord willing, don't struggle for so long like I have with self doubt (although it won't be a perfect example). I'm not talking about an arrogance that walks all over people and looks after number one only. I'm simply talking about the assurance in my heart and mind that I have worth, value, purpose, position, talents and giftings and His unchanging, unending, unconditional love.  
 
 


So how do I get it into my girls hearts and minds too, besides praying for them (the most powerful and effective act we can do for them), trying to live out this truth each day (even if I still doubt at times) and verbally telling them they are valuable, loved etc.?

The thought of writing them a letter popped into my mind one day and I knew that I had to do it. I procrastinated a bit though, who doesn't?! But I have done it! I liked the idea of a letter because I know that both my girls value letters/cards written for them, so this will be the same. I like that they will have it to read and look back on in years to come too.

I've typed out the letter that I've hand written for Little Miss P and Little Miss J (they are only 8 & 6, so it's at their level of understanding) and I hope that it is encouraging for you with your girls (it could be given to boys too, so I'll probably write two more for my boys and change it accordingly).


Dear Beautiful Daughter

I wanted to write you this letter because you are so special to me and I love you so much. This world is going to tell you so many lies about what it is that makes you important and worthy of love. I want to remind you that you don't belong to this world, you belong to the King of Kings and you are His princess.

You need to believe in your heart that you are valuable, worthwhile, precious, unique, special and loved because God says you are all these things. His love for you never ever changes and never ever ends.

I want you to see that God made you to be you. Don't be a copycat of someone else. Don't try to change who you are to make people happy, just be you. God made you to love the things you love and to do the things you do. So know that He has made you exactly how He wanted you to be. You are His masterpiece and He takes great delight in you.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mothers womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were
 
written in your book
before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts , God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand -
when I awake, I am still with you.
 
Psalm 139:13-18
 
 
 
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
His loves endures forever.
 
1 Chronicles 16:34
 
 
You are so precious sweetheart,
Love always, Mum XO.
 
 
(For us mums ... Galations 6:9. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up).
Link up with these other blogs for more encouragement!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...