Pages

Tuesday 30 October 2012

Thankful Journals

 
 
 
These are our family thankful journals.
 
Why did we begin them? What's the importance of them?  
 
I Thess 5: 16-18
 
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances,
for this is Gods will for you in Christ Jesus".
 
 
There are  many ways to practise thankfulness, but for us, there is something to be said about a family gathered around the table after stomachs are satisfied; the pouring out of thanksgivings on pages once blank. Numbered lines and words offering praise and thanks to the One who provides our every need. It satisfies - strengthens - encourages - uplifts.
 
Paul urges us in the above passage to give thanks in all circumstances. (Does anyone else find this a ridiculously hard challenge?!! ) I must deliberately choose to offer thanks even when every part of me wants to stay in my pity party, or my tantrum or my negative thinking (please tell me I'm not the only one who does this!). It is hard, but it is so incredibly amazing to see God's gifts to me and my family, His many gifts, listed in the pages of these journals.
 
Our children need to see us set the example of thankfulness lived out daily. Society's gluttonous desire for more more more leaves the smallest amount of room for viewing what we already have. What He has lavishly filled our lives with. Actually, our children are the ones who help to keep us actively practising praise ... they thrive on them! (In reality, we don't do it every night, but we have settled on a minimum 3 times each week).
 
My husband, Mr S, gives out the number of 'thank-you's' to write and we all set about thinking of our days blessings and recording them as a written legacy of Gods goodness to us. Are the points always profound, spelt correctly or written neatly? With four children under 10, it's very unlikely!! But all of them understand that we are writing down these things because Gods generous care of us deserves our attention; and that generosity also deserves our thanks.
 
Then comes my other favourite part; we go around the table one thank-filled heart at a time and share what we have written together; that's the connective tissue that keeps this practise alive. We write it, then we voice it. It unites and it is powerful. This is a beautiful part of my family ... (Thank you God for the practise of giving thanks).
 
(Just between you and me, I'm looking forward to reading over them through the years!)
 
Would you consider practising thankfulness through a thankful journal in your family?
 
 
 
Photos property of Sufficient Grace... please ask permission before useage. Thanks
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...